Author Topic: How do i Back up devcoin wallet  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Tony29

• Hello I'm new :D
How do i Back up devcoin wallet
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:17 pm »
HI

I can not find my Devcoin Wallet.Dat file to backup on my USB

Is there any other way i can find the Dat file & back up my wallet?

weisoq

Re: How do i Back up devcoin wallet
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:43:35 pm »
If you're on windows path will be something like:
C:\Users\yourname\appdata\Roaming\Devcoin\wallet.dat or %appdata%\Devcoin
It's also a good idea to also do this before encrypting.

It may be a hidden/system file on your system so open an explorer window - File (if you don't see 'File' then hit the Alt key) - Tools - Folder Options - View - select "Show hidden files and folders" - Apply - OK

The Appdata folder should now be visible. Alternatively try just searching for 'appdata' from the windows Start button. That works for me - you can then browse to the devcoin folder, right click - Send To - Desktop... (that will put a shortcut on your desktop to make things easier for next time).

Offline Tony29

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:44:29 pm »
I presume i just send my wallet file to desktop which will have all my coins in it.

Offline Tony29

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »
Why is the Devcoin ICON missing in the wallet app/wallet as all my other currency apps/wallets have icons where i click and open he wallet.

Offline Tony29

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 04:54:25 pm »
i have been backing up my Devcoin wallet every time i buy more coins. My wallet has different size files. i persume i have to back up the largest wallet file size which will have my up to date coins in it?

weisoq

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:25:03 pm »
*I presume i just send my wallet file to desktop which will have all my coins in it?

Don't send the actual wallet.dat file, just make a copy of it to save somewhere safe. If you're going to create a desktop shortcut as I explained, you'd be better creating that for the devcoin folder (or appdata or some other folder in the path) just to make the process easier but ensure you don't ever accidently overwrite/edit it without remembering exactly what you did. If in doubt just make the shortcut to the 'appdata' folder, then you'll know where to quickly go from there.

*Why is the Devcoin ICON missing in the wallet app/wallet as all my other currency apps/wallets have icons where i click and open he wallet?

It shouldn't be, that would only relate to quite old devcoin wallets. Where did you download it from? All the up to date wallets are here:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#download

But it doesn't technically matter as it's still a devcoin wallet. I would post you a link on steps for updating and copying over the wallet file for a new installation, but that thread on bitcointalk.org isn't loading for me today. When I can I will.

*I have been backing up my Devcoin wallet every time i buy more coins. My wallet has different size files. i persume i have to back up the largest wallet file size which will have my up to date coins in it?

You've lost me there a bit as I thought you couldn't find the file? But yes the file's size will grow with the size of the wallet. The only wallet.dat file you need to be backing up is the current one, the one in the devcoin folder. If you're making regular backups (a good idea) then yes you'll have several (maybe dated) copies in another place - but it's the file associated with your current wallet that we're talking about. If you want to keep copies of all the backups and make secondary copies again somewhere else, that's also probably sensible.

weisoq

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 12:45:24 pm »
Ok. The newest wallet builds are here: http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=devcoin#windows
I'd suggest the 'Devcoin Setup Exe Windows32' as it's a simple .exe file

In terms of updating an older wallet:

*Whatever you do, first COPY over the wallet.dat from the existing devcoin folder to somewhere else safe*

I found the windows QT wallet thread link here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129563.msg2163599#msg2163599

I think when I did it the new wallet automatically read the previous wallet without deleting the folder, but that's not what it says there. Either way it doesn't matter so long as you've backup up the .dat to replace if needs be. Also, that wallet has encryption, so again if you opt to encrypt it good idea to have a backup before doing so.

Offline LoveAndPeace

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 05:50:39 am »
i have been backing up my Devcoin wallet every time i buy more coins. My wallet has different size files. i persume i have to back up the largest wallet file size which will have my up to date coins in it?

i was under the impression.. that for bitcoin... and maybe also devcoin?    that you only need to back up one uncorrupted copy of your wallet to save any future coins sent to it that wallets current addresses... unless you use your wallet... but its safe to receive to the addresses you already have.  once you use the wallet i think it you need new copy of the wallet.dat